The first few days of 2018 brought dozens of people out to Chilkoot Lake to aid in the search for a missing dog. Jenn WalshChris Downer and their son Azeo were out at the lake on New Year’s Eve when their dog Lily was startled by fireworks. The 14 pound dog isn’t one to stray so when Lily didn’t come back, temperatures continued to drop and heavy snow began to fall, they chose to stay out all night. The following day dozens of people heard about the missing dog and came to help with the search. Sam and Shannon McPhetres brought coffee and hot chocolate anticipating the friends and fellow dog lovers that would come out after them. Over the next two days more than 50 people trekked around the campground and Lutak Road, the state trooper checked trap lines and Alisa Beske canvassed the neighborhood and put up flyers. Lily was eventually found running along Lutak Road by the ferry terminal by Mary Folletti and Roz Cruise. They were heading in the opposite direction so Lily was given a ride to the firehall by Jay Katzeek and her daughter Aubrey. Amazed and grateful, Chris and Jenn were blown away by the support and time given by the people of Haines.

A simple ski trip turned into an epic adventure around the Golden Circle for seven Chilkat Valley residents last weekend. Maddy WitekBeth FenhausRay ReevesHannah BlilieAshley Brewer-Reed and Jeremy Reed headed up to Whitehorse with Jason Eson for his birthday. The crew had a decent half-day at Mt. Sima skiing and snowboarding, then went out for lobster to celebrate. Sunday’s conditions were less desirable and as they were packing to head back to Haines discovered the Haines Highway was closed. After buying ferry tickets from Skagway they found the Klondike Highway was also closed, leading to a second night in Whitehorse where they waited for better conditions while soaking at Takhini Hot Springs. Monday they attempted the Klondike Highway but were stopped at the avalanche gate. Yukon road maintenance informed them there would be no way to get through that day, they returned for one more night in Whitehorse. On Tuesday the Klondike Highway reopened and the three vehicles had a harrowing journey down to Skagway. With no ferry until Thursday, the group decided to fly back to Haines leaving their vehicles in Skagway to be retrieved later.

Local yoga instructor Marnie Hartman has returned from her recent trip to southern India, where she spent two weeks in Mysore at a yoga retreat. The retreat, at a permaculture eco-ashram, is for instructors and long-time practitioners to help strengthen personal practice. She spent six hours a day with Indian yogis, learning from their years of knowledge and practice. When the retreat was finished, Marnie continued on further south into the Kerala area visiting pea plantations, fishing villages and volunteering at an orphanage in Haripad.

Symaron George and Luke Marquardt said their vows in a quiet ceremony downtown last week in Haines. The two kept the ceremony small, with close family and friends attending.

Haines High School senior, Marty Fowler, experienced video production for television from start to finish this past December while working with Bill McRoberts at the “She’s Gone Country with the CB Cowgirls” events in Las Vegas.

Tod Sebens returned from an 11 week, 16,272 mile trip across the country. Tod and his brothers moved his mother into assisted living. He then traveled in his 2006 Toyota Truck east to visit family. He visited Margaret and Bozhi Sebens in North Carolina. He drove to California to visit his brother Scotty a former Chip and Dales dancer. He also hung out with his brother Bobby who he hadn’t seen in 15 years. On his way back to Haines, Tod hit a caribou near Teslin Lake. The caribou survived, Tod said.