Candidate for HPD drops out
Would-be Haines Borough police officer Travis Marshall will not be coming to work in Haines as planned, putting the department back at the starting point for hiring a new officer.
After agreeing to start on Dec. 30, Marshall, a military police officer with more than six years of law enforcement experience with the U.S. Air Force and Department of the Army, flip-flopped several times on whether or not to come to Haines.
“On Dec. 27, I got an email from Marshall withdrawing his acceptance,” said interim police chief Simon Ford. “He explained that he had an opportunity to continue full time in the military that he thought would be better for his family. A week later, he said he wanted to come after all, and I was undecided about what to do.”
Several days later, Marshall emailed Ford again and said he was being deployed to the United Arab Emirates for six months, beginning in April. “That was the end of our conversations,” Ford said.
“We’re pretty bummed about Marshall,” he added. “He interviewed extremely well and I thought he would be a great fit.”
Interim manager Julie Cozzi reposted the police officer position Dec. 31.
“None of the old applications are technically in the running, because we have started over. Any of those people are free to reapply, though,” Cozzi said.
The borough has received three applications so far. The first review of applications is Jan. 17, though the position is open until filled.